Inclusive Healthcare Provider Resources
The following organizations have collected directories of welcoming providers. If you know of any other directories or resources, please contact us.
- Directory of health professionals advancing LGBT equality from the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- Directory of LGBT-friendly cancer screening facilities from the National LGBT Cancer Network
- Directory of LGBT-friendly cancer treatment facilities from the National LGBT Cancer Network
File A Complaint
If you have been treated disrespectfully by a provider or organization, we urge you to file a complaint. Please feel free to copy us on this complaint or inform us it's been filed.
- With the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, you can – learn how to file a civil rights complaint against a discriminatory healthcare provider online, or learn how to file a complaint online if your rights to privacy has been violated
- You can also issue a complaint about a healthcare organization to The Joint Commission, an organization that accredits healthcare providers.
- For problems with a nursing home or other long-term care provider, find your state’s Long-Term Care Ombudsperson who can be your advocate.
Contact Advocacy Organizations
The following organizations have assisted people who experienced discrimination based on being LGBT. Feel free to contact them if you have experienced the same.
Lambda Legal Help Desk: http://www.lambdalegal.org/help
Trans Law Center Legal Information Intake: http://transgenderlawcenter.org/help
ACLU report LGBT discrimination here: https://www.aclu.org/secure/report-lgbthiv-discrimination?ms=web_LGBTintake
Media issues? GLAAD is your resource. Report defamation and get in contact with people who can give you media training here: http://www.glaad.org/reportdefamation
Do you know of another resource that can assist in an instance of healthcare discrimination? If so please tell us.
Did you have an unwelcoming experience somewhere? Tell us about it here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/lgbtwelcome